Friday, June 20, 2008

Creepiness! Unusually, the kind where I'm the object instead of the subject.

As I haven't yet mentioned in this space, I'm currently a candidate for the community representative spot Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation. The election continues until tomorrow at midnight, and it's a fairly safe bet that I won't win (there are a few reasons for this, but I won't go into them because it's not the point of this post).

In what might come as a surprise to people who have experienced my past involvement in different things, I've kept a fairly low profile on Wikipedia. I certainly never posted a picture of myself (though I immediately disclosed my identity, so anybody who had cared could probably have tracked one down). It's traditional for Board election candidates to do so, though, so I uploaded this one, because I thought it was fairly flattering and because I thought it exhibited a representative level of self-satisfaction:

Anyway, some time ago one of my opponents - Greg Kohs, who has a terribly interesting story of his own that I won't go into because that's not the point of this post - suggested that I looked like a young Richard Gere. That led to this homoerotic exchange.

I feel pretty...

5 comments:

Gregory Kohs said...

It's NOT homoerotic! (Not that there's anything wrong with that. [Seinfeld])

I'm still hoping for strong results for you, Steve.

"Steve Smith" said...

Greg, I believe that you're deeply committed to your marriage and never have the slightest yearning for a man's touch, but that thread was clearly homoerotic.

And thanks - same to you.

Catrin said...

I'm not sure I see the Richard Gere, but I've *always* said the Brad Pitt thing - the bottom of his face has an uncanny resemblance to the latter.

In fact, I hardly ever look at him without covering up the top of his face somehow.

Catrin said...

Oh, and in other news, which will interest none of you: I've been told by a television producer that I look like Mindy from the Simpsons. I'm not sure how to take that.

"Steve Smith" said...

For anybody who's curious, I put that picture through one of those "Which celebrity do I look like" things. Neither Pitt nor Gere showed up anywhere in it. Number one was Heather Locklear.